Scottsdale, Blue Derby and Bridport
The North East corner of Tasmania has recently come to national attention due to the construction of the world class mountain bike trail network at Blue Derby.
Scottsdale is an idyllic old country town surrounded by dairy country and is quite fun to drive as it includes a number of stages of the Targa Tasmania in the surrounding hills.
Nearby is the town of Derby which is the centre of the new trail network called the Blue Derby. The Blue Derby trails feature over 80km of single track catering to a variety of difficulty levels with plenty of challenges to keep both XC and Enduro riders happy.
To the north is the beachside holiday town of Bridport which has some lovely beaches and sand dunes to explore. Bridport is also home to the world famous Barnbougle Dunes Golf Course, a public course anyone can book to play at. There's also the popular Bridestowe Estate Lavender Farm which produces the very popular Bobby the Bear Lavender teddy bears.
A Brief History of Scottsdale, Blue Derby and Bridport
European settlers first explored this region in the 1850's and settled creating a major agricultural centre. Since then the region has produced everything from potatoes and dairy to poppies and hops.
Derby was settled at a similar time as Scottsdale but instead became primarily a mining town to support the tin mining industry in the surrounding hills.
Our Local Tips
- Have drink at the Weldborough Hotel, they have ciders and beer from every Tassie brewery.
- Play a round of Golf at Barnbougle.
- Go riding on the Blue Derby Trails.
- Have a coffee at the Scottsdale Art Gallery.
- Head over to Pyengana for some cheese.
- Go for lunch at the Pub in the Paddock.
- Feed the ducks at the Northeast Park camping area in Scottsdale.