Maria Island is a special place with something for everyone - historic ruins, sweeping bays, rugged cliffs and mountains, and remarkable wildlife. Laying just off the East Coast, the island is easily accessed by ferry. Once on the island, you will discover a place where there are no motor vehicles, no shops and no worries.
- Tour departs the Hobart Travel and Information Centre (Corner of Davey and Elizabeth St) at 7:20 AM
- For guests meeting us in Triabunna, please meet out the front of the Tribaunna information centre by 8:40 AM
- Rural farm and coastal drive to the fishing town of Triabunna, board the scenic Encounter Maria Island Ferry, offering sweeping views along the way and if lucky, dolphins, seals, whales and sea birds.
- Enjoy a morning Tea/Coffee on the ferry - we view the map and give welcome to the Island.
- Spend the morning walking to the Fossil Cliffs (1.5-hours loop), enjoying the views of Bishop and Clerk and watching the local wildlife in their natural environment. Kangaroos laze around in the open grazing lands.
- Explore the World Heritage listed convict station of Darlington, learn the fascinating stories of convicts at the edge of the world!
- Picnic lunch will be served inside convict 'mess hall', on penientary balcony or another pretty spot along the way.
- The afternoon will be spent walking to the vibrant Painted Cliffs (1.5-hour return) and learning about the rich natural and cultural history of the island. Get up close with the unique patterns of this pretty sandstone outcrop.
- After the walk, relax with a glass of local wine and keep an eye out for more wombats!
- Guided by qualified eco-guides, you will experience 'Maria' like a local.
- Return to Hobart between 5:30, traffic depending.
Please note: due to the nature of this tour, we require a minimum of 3 people for the tour to operate.
Walking time: 4 hours | Walking distance: 9KM
Track Rating: 2, involves hardened formed tracks, short hill section, cliff edge
Terrain: Beach, coastal, some hills
Food/Drink: morning tea/coffee, picnic lunch, glass of wine, water.